Tuesday, May 24, 2011

roots in the sand

This week I have been out in my yard pulling weeds. They are tough. I have resorted to spraying chemicals on the weeds to kill them, then ripping them out of the ground after they turn brown and pretend to die. Inevitably I watch their remnants and new weeds spring up to take their places.

When we first moved to Florida I discovered to my horror that the ground consisted of s-a-n-d! It is not soil or clay. It is not absorbent.  Water does not soak in, it runs off. If there is no vegetation to collect it the ground remains dry beneath the surface. Guess what grows well? W-e-e-d-s!

I have discovered something interesting. Native plants have the ability to thrive in the sand because they have deep roots. If you dig through the sand far enough you will eventually come to solid ground. It may be one to three feet deep but if you keep digging you will find it.
Those plants that grow well in Florida are adapted to the harsh conditions.  Native foliage has the ability to live in the desert like heat, survive torrential summer storms, and endure occasional hurricane force winds and the sporadic frosts of winter. The survivors have deep roots. When adverse conditions come, they may be wounded but they will survive, become stronger and grow deeper roots.

I understand that it is not wise to build a house on sandy soil. Living in the unstable shifting sand of this world and having deep roots in the soil of God's word enables you to be a survivor. 

Ephesians 3:14-19 "For this reason I fall on my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth receives its character. I pray that from the treasures of His glory He will empower you with inner strength by His spirit so that the Messiah may live in your hearts through your trusting. Also I pray that you will be rooted and grounded in love, so that you with all God's people will be given strength to grasp the breadth, length, height and depth of the Messiah's love, yes to know it, even though it is beyond all knowing so that you will be filled with all the fullness of God.
Now to Him who by His power working in us is able to do beyond anything we can ask and imagine, to Him be the glory."

Now, go strengthen your roots = )

No comments:

Post a Comment