Monday, June 20, 2011

Why?

Why does God allow tragedies, illness and sorrow?

Recently my dear friend Jan passed away. Her faith was unsurpassed by anyone else I know. She had incredible discernment and amazing wisdom. She had a way of making everyone she met feel special. Jan freely told strangers, friends and family about her precious Savior, and led many to the Lord. She was a gracious and generous lady. Jan was also a slightly framed but strong and determined woman.

Jan's daughter, Judy, told a delightful story about her mom.  Many years ago Jan was late getting to the airport and actually ran out on the tarmac to stop an airplane that had closed its doors and was pulling away from the terminal. She was not about to miss her flight to see one of her daughters get married. Jan stood in front of the plane with luggage in hand waving frantically.The amazed pilot actually stopped the plane, lowered the steps and allowed Jan and Judy to get on. Judy told us that Jan held her head high while they walked down the aisle and found their seats. She then leaned over to her daughter and said "I bet they think we're celebrities."
I could actually picture her doing that!

Jan searched the Bible for verses about healing. She wrote them down and kept reading them over and over to herself and to anyone who came to visit her.  I prayed fervently for her. I asked God to  heal her because her faith was absolute and she really wanted to be healed. But in only three months her physical health deteriorated almost daily. Jan prayed that she would live to see all her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren accept her Savior's free gift of salvation so that some day she and her husband Herb would live with them in heaven for all eternity.

One day when I prayed, I recalled the memory of the cloud formations that I had seen while I was lying in a hospital bed the same weekend that Jan became ill and was subsequently diagnosed with cancer. I looked out the window that day and saw perfect cloud formations of three little girls running to and being embraced by a kneeling, smiling Jesus. There was a rainbow-shaped cut out in the clouds above them. Behind Him were two disciples who were each releasing a fish back into the water. Moments later, where I had seen Jesus, there appeared one beautiful angel. I pondered what I had seen for several weeks. I was perplexed because it was so clear. If someone else had described what I had seen I would have had a hard time believing it. I wrote it down in a journal that I keep so that I would never forget. Jill, another friend, had also been taken to a hospital emergency room that weekend with a serious condition.  I was unaware of what was happening to them during the five days I was hospitalized.

 Weeks later while I was praying I suddenly got the impression that one of the three of us would be taken home to heaven. The other two would have to continue their lives here on earth until their purpose was fulfilled. I didn't know which one of us it would be. I didn't want it to be true. I felt a heavy burden in my heart. I prayed harder and sought out Bible references for answers to my questions.
I read John 11:1-44. It tells the story of Jesus and Lazarus.

In verse 37 it says that "some of those in the crowd were saying 'could not He who opened the eyes of the blind man have kept this man from dying?"

Verse 21 reads: "Martha said to Jesus, "Lord if you had been here my brother would not have died. Even now I know that whatever you ask of God, God will give you." Jesus said "Your brother will rise again." Martha said "I know that he will rise again at the resurrection on the last day."

 Verse 25 says: "Jesus said to Martha "I am the resurrection and the life. He who puts his trust in me will live, even though he dies. And everyone living and trusting in me will never die. Do you believe this" She said to Him 'yes Lord, I believe that you are the Messiah…"

 I believe that God could have healed my friend. I don't know why he didn't. I do know that God knows each individual, the entire world's population, and is orchestrating the interwoven canvass of our lives  to fulfill His purpose for creating each one of us.  We as humans can only see what concerns ours individual lives in this moment of time. I believe that "God causes all things to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28.

 Faith is accepting without having to understand.

 I promised Jan that I would continue to pray as we had prayed together, for healing of relationships in our families, for our children and grandchildren and her great-grandchildren. I know that God gently brought Jan to her heavenly home and she is rejoicing with Herb in His presence. The rest of us will continue our life here until it is our turn to enter eternity.








3 comments:

  1. I'm reading Chasing Daylight by Erwin McManus. A couple of quotes I recently entered in my journal: Our need is not to work up our faith in God but to deepen our confidence in God. And, The more closely we reflect God's heart in our prayers the more often our requests will match His response.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your heart with me and others. It is a reminder that only God knows what is best for us..and He alone holds our destiny. I will miss her, but I rejoice that where she is I too will go someday and rejoice with her at all the Lord has done in our and the lives of our loved ones. Jan has a far better healing with her Lord than she could have had here, and for that I am thankful. Again thanks for sharing your heart with me. Jan is smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Pat above. When our prayers reflect God's heart they will be answered. It is fine to ask for something like healing and then we may not understand why the healing had to be in heaven and not earth but trust can help us. When I lost my dear father in his 40's I did not feel angry but asked God why. I felt he told me that my dad was spared some very hard things. Still don't understand but trust that God knew best even though I did not get the answer I wanted. Faith Robinson

    ReplyDelete