Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Help!

Have you ever been in the grip of crippling depression? It sucks the very breath out of you. It pierces your heart and makes you unable to think, process information, function.

Because of the hope I have in the God of creation, these episodes don't last as long as they used to. The Bible verses I have memorized since childhood "pop" into my brain just when I need them. It reminds me of a line from a movie "Gifted Hands" about a pediatric neurosurgeon from Johns Hopkins medical Center named Ben Carson. His mother told him as he studied and studied "You don't need the book. The book is inside you!"
I am grateful for having memorized scripture verses. The book IS inside me, and when dark days come, God speaks to me in my inmost being to give me hope.

As I walked my dog this morning, the verse "I will lift up my eyes to the hills, where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth.......the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now, and forevermore." Psalms 121: 1-8

So, I lifted my eyes and I SAW : A magnificent blue heron catch a fish and eat it, a pelican circle and dive into the water after a fish (I secretly prayed for him to catch one, but he didn't =), a cormorant on the shore with wings stretched out to dry in the sun, two snowy white egrets take flight and sail into the cloudless blue sky. I heard the hawk's cry and the call of the flock of Black Hooded Conures coming to the feeder in my back yard. (they LOVE black oil sunflower seeds= ) And I pondered the wonder of a family of four Bald Eagles who have apparently take up residence somewhere in the field by the river in my back yard! Never in my wildest dreams have ever dreamed I would live in such a place. And my heart was filled anew with the awe of God, who created this world and everything in it intricately detailed and designed for us to enjoy with Him.

Let everything that has breath, praise the Lord! Psalm 150:6

No comments:

Post a Comment